Monday, October 22, 2012

Howard

Howard



 
Mom - Howard - Donna

  How do you even start to write a tribute to such a soul?  Uncle Howard.  My inspiration.  My friend.  My cement.  My binoculars. My scale/balance. 





     We love our animals unconditionally, as they love us.  Pure to form.  Howard loved his animals more than some would think healthy.  They loved him back even more.  He was not a fan of humanity.  He made the humans in his life toe the line.  He lived in a world of black and white, where rarely we find others can survive.  It is clean place to live.  Righteous and pure.  Lonely.  



    He was a "whistle-blower".  When he found gross injustices and lies in the world he would go down representing and protecting what was right. From issues on falsified documents claiming safety on welds in nuclear power plants, to tiles on space shuttles, all the way to protecting the wilderness from rogue outfitters.  He could not be bought.  He could not be silenced.  Even in Washington D.C..  Much to the chagrin of his supervisors and the politicians.....  He was a rare gift.



He was a large Italian force to be reckoned with.  Or he was a big soft gentle giant with quick wit and a deep hardy laugh.  The infectious kind that resonates through the entire room or echos along the mountain side


      He influenced me with his actions more than with his words.  Sometimes his lack of words had more impact than anything he would say.  He was my companion. We understood.  It was an understanding without saying.




       I am sad for my loss.  I am sad for those who could have known him, but missed out!  I celebrate the gain I have had in my life for running across this 'bird of a feather'.   He enriched my life greatly.  I was one of his pack and was shown the rare unconditional love that truly does exist.  We rarely walked side by side in life. Our best times were on long pack trips 10-14 days out in the wilderness, sometimes riding together, sometimes riding apart.  I had no doubt on my journey, however, that if I ever needed him, he would be there ten-fold!!  So much of who I am today, is because of his influence.  Uncle your spirit will travel with me.




     Happy Trails Uncle Howard.  Keep one saddled for me on the other side.  I'll meet ya there one day and help set up camp.




   


Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day,
Nothing gold can stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment